Sunday, February 5, 2012

Discipleship To Disciple

In Maynards Sunday School class today Tim taught on the definition as well as the necessities needed to be in a state of discipleship. It was a very informative and for me, thought provoking lesson. At one point during class I raised my hand mainly because when I feel the Holy Ghost move in me, I cannot refuse Him. The point I was attempting to make was that (given our class is made of up mostly current or formerly broken and struggling people- me included) I felt compelled to say what was given to me to say. I just don't think I did a very good job of it. I haven't had a moments peace since. I still have the need to explain through the Spirit what my point was.

My objective was to include all the peoples in the class that have a backgroundd of addiction, infidelity, abuse, self harm, brokenness, hopelessness and especially the ones who are beginning their journey with Christ and are beginning in the discipleship journey with Christ. i wanted them to not forget their pasts. Never to forget where and what they come from and who it was that delivered them from that.

I believe that discipleship is the prelude to becoming a disciple. the apostles that followed Christ for three and a half years were in discipleship. Yes they had accepted as their Lord and Savior. Jesus even asked them"who do you think that I am"? Peter answered without hesitation"You are the Christ" Yet within a short time this same man in discipleship would deny he even knew Christ. The point being that  Christ's hand picked apostles that He took under tutelage never strayed far from bone headed behaviors. One day they were even fighting about who would be the greatest in heaven. I mean seriously, these guys were following the Christ. the raiser of the dead and healer of the crippled. the straightener of limbs the restorer of sight, the water to wine Christ and they reverted to being stupid in His presence. I say all this to help you put into perspective your prior lives. What I refer to as BC(Before Christ as the center of my life). It wasn't until Christ had died on the Cross for all sin, past, present and future and arose three days later and became transfigured that the ones in discipleship under Him became His Disciples.Even then one still had to look upon His nail scared hands and touch the wound in His side to graduate to Disciple.

So when does discipleship begin? No one is born saved.  Its often a prolonged period of time between you know who Christ is and 30 years later when you fully turn your life over to Him and begin Discipleship. So the question that was burning on my heart is what are we to instruct, lead and teach new discipleshippers to do with the years of "the sins of their choice", when now we are preparing them to become equipped to go forth and connect with others and share the good news of who and how their lives were changed, restored, healed and given an earthly purpose to serve others. Serve without expectations of any earthly dividends.

Obviously there has to be a familiarity between the disciple and the one in need. that's where my BC comes in. That's where all our BC's come in. That's what I was trying in such a pitiful way to express in class today. We all have a BC if we are Christ followers, in discipleship or have graduated to disciple. But the most valued tool to crack the ice with a hurting, helpless, hoplessly broken person is to establish familiarity . You can feel their pain and suffering. you can feel the hopelessness and despair of the addict. you can comprehend the rage of a young mother abandoned by their babies daddy. You can comfort those who weep because they feel they have done to many horrible acts nad all that is left is to take their own lives, That's why you all have BC's so that you can look them in the eye and say "I Know" "i have been their" I can share with you the only way that you can end your burden, addiction, rage, unforgiveness, the wrongs done to you, your despair, hopelessness and isolation". then you have fulfilled the words in the Bible, to paraphrase; God takes broken things and makes them for the good.

I had written a different version in my journal tonight but i couldn't sleep and the longer i laid there the more and more this was on my heart and mind. God uses all of us. All that we were, are and shall be to His glory. sometimes we seem to overlook the obvious or at least I do. Tell me what you think about all this. Love you Bye

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you bro. There's alot of passion in your words. It is uncommon for folks to pour themselves out such as you've done partly cause they're not passionate to others in their walk & partly cause they hadn't been there nor able to relate. I definitely keep myself in check with my sinful BC life. This life is hard & the choice I make to not focus on how hard it can be but where he wants to take me moves be beyond my pain. There is so much to learn about the vastness of who he is and where he finds me of use to his glory for the kingdom. How wonderful to exchange words of encouragement about the maker of my soul & how he loves us all. Thank you for sharing. Keep strong in the Lord!

    ReplyDelete